December 17, 2017
It was strange to be asked for my Top 10 albums of the year by the folk I write for. I’ve spent a lifetime poring over various lists every Christmas and now I had to submit mine! What is clear then you are conflicted as you compile the list: do you pick the most worthy, adventurous and surprising releases or something, a little more honest, that you’re likely to play again?
For me I decided to pick two lists. One is the stuff I enjoyed from 2017 releases. I think I can explain why I liked them so much and you may find it somewhere as a ‘Record Of The Week’ on the blog. The other list is a list of albums that I have bought and become absorbed with in 2017. Although you’ll note they are old; most are vinyl which were a complete pleasure to track down. Revisiting old albums and or artists is a joy – like meeting up with old friends.
Eternal gratitude to Calvin Powers, The Mighty Jessney (Steve) and Duncan Warwick who gave me so much music that it was nearly overwhelming. With what I bought and what I received then I listened to circa 210 new albums (to me) this year. That’s in addition to my usual listening to older stuff. I seldom passed a charity shop or HMV in York without buying something. In addition I bought albums this year in Leeds, London, Vancouver, Calgary, Stuttgart, Helsinki, Nuremberg and I looked in every other holiday destination I visited!
Streaming doesn’t work for me with poor internet in Acaster Malbis and I have to admit to being a ‘collector’.
- John Moreland Big Bad Luv
- Tyler Childers Purgatory
- Amanda Anne Platt & The Honeycutters
- Courtney Marie Andrews Honest life
- The War On Drugs A Deeper Understanding
- Lukas Nelson & The Promise Of The Real
- Miranda Lambert The Weight Of These Wings
- Lee Ann Womack The Lonely, The Lonesome & The Gone
- Hurricane Ruth Ain’t Ready For The Grave
- Zephaniah OHora With The 18 Wheelers This Highway
Bought & Enjoyed In 2017
- The Rolling Stones Exile on Main Street (1972)
- Millie Jackson Just A Lil’ Bit Country (1981)
- Humble Pie Smokin’ (1972)
- 10cc The Original Soundtrack (1975)
- Candi Staton Music Speaks Louder Than Words (1977)
- Vinegar Joe Rock ’n Roll Gypsies (1972)
- Cat Stevens Tea For The Tillerman (1970)
- Marcia Ball Live! Down The Road (2005)
- The Average White Band Put It Where You Want It (1975)
- Carlos Santana & John McLaughlin Love, Devotion & Surrender (1973)